how does it all work?
If you’re not familiar with how Salt Pots works, it’s easy:
1. Choose a piece of pottery from our range of pieces to paint
2. We’ll get you started – everything from how to use the paints to how to get the best results
3. Leave it with us – then come and pick up your items, glazed and fired around a week later
Do I need to book?
Ideally, as you never know how busy it is going to be, but if you don’t get a chance, pop in and we’ll see if we can squeeze you in.
How long will it take to fire my item?
Normally around a week later. After you have finished painting we glaze the item and load it into a kiln where it is fired at stupendous temperatures. We will give you an idea of turnaround times when you come to paint. Clay pieces take 2 weeks. If you are in a hurry and want to take away on the day we also have acrylic paints, decoupage paper and foam clay – none of which need firing.
Can I get my pottery sooner than 7 days?
At some times we can put on an additional firing for items needed in an emergency – ask the staff if this is possible. There is a charge of £5 for this service when available.
Can you post my pottery to me?
Yes we can. Please leave your email details with us and when we have packed your pottery we will get a quote from Royal Mail. Most items cost approximately £5 to post.
Where is best to park ?
All the streets at this end of the village have unrestricted free parking and there are usually spaces available in Dove St and Jane St as well as opposite us in Queens Road. There is a small car park behind the Coop on the other side of Bingley Road (£1 for 3 hours). Parking on Bingley Road is restricted to 1 hour.
Are the paints safe for children and babies?
All paints are child safe, water based, non toxic under glazes. They also come out in a machine wash.
At what age can I get a good handprint?
We recommend footprints for the first few months, and hand prints from then on. Getting a small baby’s hand print is extremely difficult because they scrunch their little fists up (but we do have tricks to help!) but you can always get a great little footprint that shows how tiny their feet and toes were, once…!
Do I have to pay the studio fee twice if I paint more than one item?
The studio fee is per person per session, so you can come and paint a whole set of mugs and spend the whole afternoon here and it will only cost you £3.50 plus the cost of your item or £2.50 for children.
What happens if I don’t finish in time?
If we are quiet and your table isn’t rebooked there is no time limit – you can stay all day if you want. During busy periods your table will be booked for 1.5 hours. You are welcome to return to finish your pot at another time and you will only pay the studio fee.
Can I leave my children with you?
Only for specific craft workshops where children over 7 can attend unaccompanied.
Can I mix the paint?
Yes you can but just bear in mind that there is a little risk that the colours you end up with might not be exactly as they looked when you mixed them!
What happens if it goes wrong in the kiln?
Accidents do happen and it’s horrible for you and us if it does! We will issue you with a voucher to the full value so you can come and have a go at decorating a replacement item.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away!
Here’s the boring bit..
Terms and conditions
1. Payment is to be made in full on the date of painting by either cash, card or cheque supported by a cash guarantee card. Commissions are also to be paid for in full on the date of ordering.
2. Salt Pots cannot be held liable for any damage to painted pottery in the glazing and firing process. Defects in the pottery that are not visible to the naked eye when unfired can become apparent during this process. In the unlikely event of this happening, a voucher will be offered to the full value of the painted piece and can be used whenever you wish.
3. Paints used at Salt Pots are non toxic, water based and baby and child safe. If you have any allergies please use with caution as we cannot be held liable for any allergic reactions.
4. The studio is used entirely at your own risk. Please accompany children to the toilets and when coming up and down the stairs.
5. It is the customers responsibility to collect painted pottery pieces 7 days after painting. All pieces will be available at the studio to be picked up after 7 days. Whereas I will always endeavour to keep pieces indefinitely after painting, I don’t have unlimited space and so cannot guarantee your piece will still be here if you do not come and collect within 1 month.
6. Gift vouchers will not be redeemable until full price has been paid. I will, however, send out gift vouchers before cleared payment is received. I will post a receipt for a gift voucher when payment is received. It is your responsibility to ensure that, if you do not receive a receipt when payment has been sent, you contact me.
7. Please pay attention to the colour chart plates when choosing a colour as refunds are not given if the colours on your piece don’t meet your expectations. I advise using two or three layers to achieve a vibrant colour and please note that colours on unfired pottery might look completely different to the fired colour.
8. Voucher refunds are only given for defects in the pottery at the time of collection. Salt Pots cannot be held responsible for any chips or marks that appear after collection. Please inspect your piece closely on collection to ensure you are happy with the quality of the pottery. I will inspect it straight out of the kiln to ensure it meets my high standards.